Monday 20 June 2022

Art Buyer, Eight Twelve 'Rari Driver, Rey Spent Six Just to Make the Roof Harry Potter

Rey Mysterio, Edge & John Cena v Eddie Guerrero, Chris Benoit & Kurt Angle (Smackdown!, 8/8/02)

Very fun TV 6-man. Rey is basically timeless, but he's naturally slowed down a little as he nears 50 fucking years of age and I guess I forgot how quick and truly graceful he worked twenty years ago. There was one spinning hurricanrana from Benoit's shoulders here that was done at triple warp speed and then he hit a springboard armdrag on Eddie that'll never look as good against anyone other than Eddie Guerrero. A match made in heaven, those two. Cena was a bit clunky in this, which probably isn't a huge shock, but he was a strong enough face in peril and took one HUGE spinebuster from Angle. 2002 was the year Angle started to really flirt with the sweet nectar of EXCESS in his matches, and I know that's a YMMV thing but there were times where I couldn't be arsed with it and times where I thought he was more or less the perfect meathead bastard. This was more of the latter and he was especially good at setting himself up for the finish here, hitting the Angle Slam on Cena and shit-talking him only to get pasted with a 619, then stumbling dazed into a West Coast Pop. The Rey/Angle match-up is largely a can't-fail prospect and I remember that Summerslam match being awesome. I'd say I'll watch it later but I think we both know I'm very likely full of shit. 


No comments:

Post a Comment