Monday 30 November 2020

Revisiting 00s US Indies #8

Homicide v Steve Corino (ROH Bitter Friends, Stiffer Enemies, 8/16/04)

I wanted to love this, and I didn't, but I thought it was very good and at times pretty great. I don't remember shit about 2003 ROH, honestly. A bit more context probably would've helped then, but I don't really have much of a personal connection to either guy so it is what it is. I think I got the gist of their feud up to this point from doing a bit of reading anyway. I wasn't too hot on the opening. Gabe and whoever else was on commentary didn't help with their shrieking about how VISCERAL the hatred is. I mean I guess that single-leg takedown was TRUCULENT and that tie-up was FEROCIOUS and all? I don't know, man. I come from a broken home so don't shout at me all the time. It did pick up when Homicide about slapped the jaw off Corino but then Gabe shit his knickers on commentary. "That's the kind of slap that could disable Corino forever! Oh my god these two hate each other, you can feel it, I'm in shock at how much they hate each other." Bruuuuuh. Just ease up with it a little. Let it come naturally, you know? Homicide going fuck it and tearing up Corino's arm with barbed wire ruled, to be fair. Corino looked almost appalled and I loved that he seemed to decide it was time to fight fire with fire or Homicide would just keep stabbing him in the arm and face with a fork. Homicide's gusher was wild and all those close-up camera shots were straight out of Puerto Rico, so fair fucks to yer cameraperson. Corino was really fun heeling it up, spitting on Julius Smokes, snot rocketing the crowd, hitting an amazing piledriver through a table, really getting everyone behind the Homicide comeback. Homicide making that comeback and about killing himself with the missed dive was sheer fucking lunacy. This is straight out the top drawer of your greatest missed dives in history as he goes full pelt into the guardrail with a tope con hilo and I'm sort of stunned he never crippled himself. You almost forgive Sapolsky's TOPE CON HILO DANGEROUUUUUSSSSSSS nerd boner on commentary but then not really and I muted it from there. Corino going for the cobra sleeper and Homicide surviving it is a nice callback to their first match that I'd have missed had I not done my by god research beforehand. I could go either way on the finish, but I settled on it being a good one as Homicide looked like he was trying to yank Corino's eye out in the STF, so if I was Corino's second I might've thrown the towel in as well. Yeah, this was pretty, pretty alright. I may watch the barbed wire match. I may, however, not. Such is life. 

No comments:

Post a Comment