Wednesday 14 April 2021

Revisiting 90s Joshi #28

Akira Hokuto v Mayumi Ozaki (JWP, 11/18/93)

This didn't do a whole lot for me. It's not that I thought it was actively bad -- if it was then at least I might've had more to say about it. It just never grabbed me and I've forgotten most of it already. I guess it was heel v heel? Neither worked remotely babyface and both spent good chunks of time shit-talking the other, which in actual fact might've been my favourite parts. There was one bit where Ozaki wiped out Hokuto on the floor then went back in the ring and started doing bodyweight squats. A bit later Hokuto returns the favour with a cannonball dive and hits the ring to do some press-ups. It was tit for tat the whole way like that, though I can't say I found it all that engaging overall. Hokuto's selling of the knee was pretty good. Some of the submission work was real niggly (some finger- and foot-biting; the latter a real hit with some corners of joshi fandom, I'm sure). Ozaki will land awkwardly on a missed dive and Hokuto will absolutely crush someone with an exploder. I guess in hindsight this was a pretty big dream match, but it never had the same inter-promotional magic as the real top tier AJW/JWP bouts. Or maybe it's just me (very possible, honestly).

No comments:

Post a Comment