Sunday 27 September 2020

Revisiting 90s Joshi #15

Akira Hokuto v Kyoko Inoue (AJW, 11/29/92)

This didn't do a ton for me, but I had to take a break just after the bridge to the finishing run so that probably didn't help. I liked the early stages well enough as they started getting tetchy, then began to lose a bit of interest in the body of the match. All the work they were doing was fine and everything, the holds were worked with a decent sense of urgency, and I liked the nasty wrinkles they added to those holds, like Hokuto fish-hooking Kyoko with both hands. It just didn't really grab me. I thought both women were good overall, though. Hokuto's expressiveness was great again and I liked how aggressive she was, especially the string of dives just before the finishing stretch. Kyoko's selling for each of those dives was great and I loved her glassy-eyed stare. I have no real affinity for her and she's not someone I could say a whole lot about as an appraisal, but she'll have performances like this that play to my tastes, where she'll take things a bit slower and let everything register (and on the flipside she'll have matches like the Toyota broadway where they just do as much shit as humanly possible in sixty minutes). My favourite spot of the match was her attempted blind elbow off the top that Hokuto countered with the feet up. Looked real nasty and again Kyoko's selling was good. Ah this was alright. I've seen worse things. 

No comments:

Post a Comment