Thursday 4 August 2022

They Tried to Hold Tenryu Down but Can't Nothin' Last Forever. He Feels it in His Bones, There's a Change in the Weather

Genichiro Tenryu v One Man Gang (All Japan, 2/22/86) - GOOD

Hot damn, this might be the best One Man Gang in Japan performance I've seen. "Is that a particularly high bar?" you ask. "Who among us is really seeking to discover the best One Man Gang in Japan performance?" you may ponder. Well, it may mean little to you but it means something to me. This was just a great little six minutes. Gang is right out of your Randy Savage/Nasty Boys school of not toning down his shit one bit in Japan and in actual fact may have ramped it up even more than usual. He was a menacing presence, bellowing like a plains bear, clonking Tenryu with the ring bell, biting him in the face, CRUSHING him with a big splash, hitting some of the greatest clubs to the neck he's ever thrown. Higuchi frantically tries to get him to rein it in a little and Gang lifts his arms like he's about to smother the wee fella and shouts "I CAN'T UNDERSTAND YOU!" and goes back to choking Tenryu. When Tenryu finally rallies with some big overhand chops the place bursts into life, then when Gang cuts him off with a monster lariat - easily the best lariat I've seen the One Man Gang hit - he mockingly boos himself with a big thumbs down and wouldn't you know it but the crowd respond by booing him for real. Tenryu does what every sound strategist in his position would as he waits until Gang crashes to earth like a meteor off a missed splash and rolls him up for the 1-2-3. Gang eviscerates all in sight post-match, or at least a few ring boys and a couple folding chairs. I honest to god loved this. Wrestling is great. 


Genichiro Tenryu & Jumbo Tsuruta v Terry Gordy & Killer Khan (All Japan, 11/22/86) - SKIPPABLE

I watched this last night and basically remember nothing about it now. That's almost always how I watch and write about wrestling at this point. Watch some stuff before I lay my weary head on the pillow, type some stupid words about it the next day. It's a rarity that I have no recollection of the stuff I watched the night before, but here we are. Pretty much nothing. I think Jumbo and Khan had a nice slap exchange. I'm sure Gordy got cut open at the end. I do not know what the finish was. I cannot in good conscience recommend you watch this, but then again it was like 12 minutes so if it takes your fancy then go for it. We're all friends here, it's fine.  


No comments:

Post a Comment