Wednesday 18 May 2022

Revisiting 90s Joshi #37

Kumiko Maekawa v Momoe Nakanishi (AJW, 3/1/98)

I don't have much of a handle on these two. Maekawa would show up on some of the earliest comp tapes I bought and thump the daylights out of people, but other than this very match I have no recollection of any of them now. I know I liked this one when I last watched it though (well over a decade now). She was also in one of the best joshi tags of the 90s, where she teamed with Hotta against Kandori and Mizuki Endo and obviously thumped the daylights out of her opponents. As far as undersized unpleasant crowbars go she's pretty unimpeachable. Nakanishi I've seen less of, but she's really here to take a walloping, courageously stay in the fight and maybe make a fist of causing an upset. For an 18-year-old with less than two years experience she did it about as well as you could expect. She was also fully willing to get kicked in the face and chin, to an almost silly degree. Maekawa landed half a dozen shots that were very putrid; a roundhouse to the throat, at least three thrust kicks straight under the chin, one where she dropped down out of a full nelson and caught Nakanishi in the face, and the axe kick at the end looked like a sledgehammer knocking a fence post into the dirt. This was straight on top of the head and Nakanishi's vertebrae never would've been the same after it. I know there are other Maekawa/Nakanishi matches. I think one of them goes an hour and I will not be bothering with that, but it's a match up I would revisit if they have another one along the same lines as this. 

No comments:

Post a Comment