Tuesday 6 March 2018

Some WWF-era Andre

Andre the Giant v Killer Khan (Stretcher Match) (Philly Spectrum, 11/14/81)

I'm pretty sure I saw this years ago, but I don't remember what I thought about it then. It's one of those famous Andre matches that people sometimes bring up, though often for the wrong reasons. I thought it was mostly fine, but it wasn't touching their New Japan match. It felt kind of squashy. Other than a couple minutes where Khan wrapped Andre's leg in the ropes and worked it over, Andre basically demolished him. They might've hit a point of diminishing returns with Andre jumping on Khan as well, even though the last barrage was pretty cool.


Andre the Giant v Randy Savage (MSG, 10/24/88)

I actually preferred this. It wasn't amazing or anything, Andre is super broken down can't really do much bar choke and club, but Savage had great energy and it made for an easy story of him having to stick and move to stay out of Andre's clutches. It might not have been a conscious decision to TELL that story - I don't doubt they just went out to fill eight minutes and keep the crowd happy - but that's how it came across in execution. Andre was fun choking Savage with his singlet strap as Heenan complained to the ref' about whatever, then Savage would come back by belting him in the face with double axe-handles. I always like how late career Andre would show vulnerability without having to bump as much, not out of selfishness or an aversion to showing ass, but because I'd guess it hurt like fuck just being out there. His bump where he'd end up tied in the ropes didn't quite come off this time, but I did like how he sat there with a total "I'm way too old for this" expression. Last minute or so was about as hectic as you could expect out of a match featuring a guy who's nearly immobile. Yeah, this was fun. As a side note, Lord Al, Billy Graham and Trongard were on commentary and I don't know if there's ever been a commentary trio that's blithered as much mince, but I give them credit for trying to communicate a story.

No comments:

Post a Comment