Saturday 7 August 2010

Waist Deep In 1992 WCW

Barry Windham & Dustin Rhodes v Steve Williams & Terry Gordy (Saturday Night, 10/3/92)

I liked their Great American Bash match more than I ever have the last time I watched it, but that ain't got shit on this. I love how Windham and Dustin are totally relentless going after both Gordy and Williams' arm in the first part of this. Everything they do works the arm, and any time it looks like Terry or Steve are starting to get a foothold, right back to the arm they go. Both babyfaces play FIP for a spell here; Windham's up first and he's out there for the longest. Dustin's shorter stretch in the role is the highlight, though. Williams and Gordy just flatten him with bombs and Dustin eats everything like a trooper. Finish feels like a huge moment, too. This is also total southern tag formula, which is a change of pace from most of the Williams & Gordy tag stuff that year. I still prefer the Steiners match from the Clash, but this is definitely right up there as one of the best tags Gordy and Williams had in WCW that year. Hell, it's one of the best tags, period. Awesome stuff.


Ricky Steamboat & Shane Douglas v Steve Austin & Brian Pillman (Main Event, 10/25/92)

I had never seen this before, but when I saw how much time it got I was really stoked about watching it. Didn't quite turn out as well as I was hoping, but I wouldn't hesitate to call it good. Same formula as the previous match in that it's southern tag with two FIP spells, and that means you get Steamboat taking an ass-beating for a few minutes so you know what to expect with that. And you want to see it. Douglas is only FIP for a few minutes, but they manage to work two phantom hot tags into it and that leads to Steamboat losing his shit and going to town on the future Blonds anyway. Fuck a referee. This is the first time I've seen Pillman work heel in a long time, but I'm wondering how I'll find his heel stuff now as I'm watching all this again. I've got a Pillman/Douglas match here that I've never seen, but I'm interested in to see how heel Pillman matches up with a guy that's basically in the same role Pillman was a few months prior.


WCW 1992 Project

No comments:

Post a Comment