Sunday 11 May 2014

80s Lucha Stuff (tryna finish this set before the World Cup starts)

El Hijo del Santo, Ringo Mendoza & Chamaco Valaguez v Jerry Estrada, Fuerza Guerrera & Talisman (3/9/84)

Estrada and Fuerza in the same team? Oh my days if that isn't a dream come true. This was mostly Santo against the rudos with Mendoza and Valaguez as background noise. Santo/Fuerza seemed to be the main match-up and I'm gonna choose to believe they never went on and had an awesome singles match, because the thought of them actually going on and having an awesome singles match and it just not being recorded is too cruel to consider. The Premier League season ends today and the Arsenal game isn't even on TV and I refuse to compound my misery. Estrada didn't look absolutely guttered here. I thought he'd be shitfaced. You know, for a change. He's a super fun bully, dismissively slapping Santo around and acting as Fuerza's back up. He also takes a back body drop bump by flying THROUGH the ropes to the floor, which I don't think I've seen before. I've said it before and I'll say it a bunch more, but it is not the least bit surprising that Jerry Estrada is in a wheelchair. Also dug the rudo miscommunication spots in this. It's the kind of thing non-lucha fans would probably dig as well. I mean, it's basically Midnight Express shtick turned up to 11, and who won't dig that? All the craziness with the masks at the end was fun, too. I wish the crowds in Mexico weren't mic'd so poorly, because I bet they'd be rabid for that shit.

No comments:

Post a Comment